How Do We Celebrate “World Environment Day?” 2 Related Answers: “We Believe Farming Is The Biggest Job On Earth” – BASF. “Everyday Is Environment Day For Me!” – Frank A Hilario

We have ignored “World Environment Week” and it’s time to pay attention to it. All the more reason because wars of all kinds are going on all over the world, and I am scientifically convinced that the kind of environment we have, or the kind we cultivate, propagates such wars.

The inclusive date for “Environment Week” according to Jenica Dizon is 20-27 March (upper image). Differently, the Government of Virgin Islands says it’s 04-10 June (lower image from  bvi.gov.vg via YouTube). What? We don’t even have a single inclusive date! We mortals do not care much about our environment to celebrate it, do we?

Not the issue of the inclusive dates, what I want to tackle here is what we mortals can commonly do to truthfully celebrate World Environment Day/Week.

The above image I saw on Facebook, the post “Be Green, Be Great” by Waves For Water PhilippinesCountry Director Jenica Dizon,“highlights the importance of caring for issues facing our environment.”

I have always cared much about the environment. I am an agriculturist and already for half-a-century proselytizer for the environment, starting as Information Officer of the Forest Research Institute (FORI), an agency of the Department of Natural Resources, in 16 April 1975. In FORI, I brainchilded 3 publications: monthly newsletter Canopy, quarterly journal Sylvatrop, and quarterly color magazine Habitat. I encouraged myself in conservation, even brainchilding Communication for Development (ComDev), as I saw UPLB’s Development Communication (DevCom) paradigm was neglecting development.

So: Even as I am a graduate of UPCA (now UP Los Baños), BSA Ag Edu, my working firstenvironment was Forestry! A non-conformist, I never had a regular job in an agriculture office, except for 1 year at the Farming Systems & Soil Resources Institute (FSSRI), which was under Director Elpidio “Pids” Rosario, a classmate of mine and a believer in my communication skills, plural. Thank you, Pids!

“We believe farming is the biggest job on earth” – BASF (agriculture.basf.com). So do I. I have my 2016 photograph of Rolando Andres’ techno-demo hybrid ricefield in San Manuel, Pangasinan, with a BASF tarp saying almost exactly that: “Farming, the biggest job on earth.”

Now then, any week is Agriculture Environment Week for me!

There is the practice of Agriculture in the whole world, whether we know it or not, where Agriculture is the single biggest culprit in generating greenhouse gases (GHGs), so it must receive the biggest attention of all. That is all because of chemical agriculture.

Now then, environment-wise, I submit that we must practice organic agriculture, whether this is the World Environment Month or not – it should be World Environment Day every single day!

Organic agriculture isregenerative, returning to the soil what man has taken from it: natural wealth. Regenerative brings again and again these 3: healthy soils, healthy foods, healthy environment. No GHGs.

Me, meanwhile I will celebrate World Environment Day everyday by writing about organic agriculture as much as I can!@517

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned From Roman Catholic “Father Acong” About Successfully Building Basic Ecclesial Communities (BECs) With Enduring Love

“Creative Freedom” – UP, Time To Replace Your Symbol Of Academic Freedom!

SOLVE As A Way Of Speech & Blogging As A Way Of Write